HAR-CO's Scholarship Committee is comprised of business and education professionals from its Board of Directors and Supervisory Committee, including: Debra Rettberg, Charles Wellington, Teresa Knox, David Jones, Larry Dukes and Diane Edwards-Moore, Public Relations Specialist.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE
HAR-CO Credit Union members are eligible.
All applicants must be a Harford County graduating high school senior and plan to enter a college, university or trade school in the next academic year. Recipients must submit evidence of acceptance and enrollment in an accredited post secondary institution of higher learning (college, university or trade school in U.S.) before payment will be made. Credit union employees, children of credit union directors, officers or employees are exempt from applying.
HAR-CO Credit Union offers twelve $1,500.00 scholarships. One scholarship shall be awarded to a qualified graduating senior from most Harford County high schools.
HAR-CO awards are paid directly to the recipients. The award is to provide financial assistance to the recipient in his/her pursuit of an undergraduate degree at an accredited college, university or trade school. The money is to be used for the student’s tuition, fees, books, supplies, and equipment.
A reception will be held in May for all the scholarship recipients prior to their graduation. Announcements and invitations will be mailed to the recipients by HAR-CO in early May.
If tax liability arises, it will be the sole responsibility of the recipient. Please consult your tax advisor.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for the HAR-CO Scholarship, click on the link below for our NEW online application or you may click here to download the application, complete and return to:
HAR-CO CREDIT UNION
30 N. Hickory Avenue
Bel Air, Maryland 21014
Completed applications with supporting materials must be received by April 15, 2018.
All entries shall become the property of HAR-CO.
If you have any questions about the scholarship program, contact HAR-CO Credit Union at
410-838-9090 or 410-879-3762, ext. 226.
HAR-CO Scholarship applicants must:
- Be a HAR-CO member at the date of application. Student’s membership number required. Membership is required and easily obtained with proper ID and a minimal $5.00 deposit prior to deadline.
- Have a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.00.
- Be a Harford County high school senior who has been accepted to an accredited college, university or trade school.
- Reside in Harford County.
- Submit a completed application with supporting materials that include:
- Statement of worthiness: This narrative, written by the applicant, is weighted heavily in the selection process. Outline your financial needs, career plans, high school and community activities, job experience, other lifetime experience and how this scholarship will assist you in attaining your educational and career goals. Also include pertinent family information and, most importantly, why you believe you are worthy of winning the scholarship. This narrative should be double spaced and not exceed two pages in length.
- Transcript of high school credits up to and including current semester.
- Copy of your current resume.
- Copy(s) of the letter(s) of acceptance.
HOW ARE THE WINNERS SELECTED
Winners of the HAR-CO Scholarship awards are selected by the Scholarship Committee. This Committee is comprised of at least three members of the HAR-CO Board of Directors who have agreed to serve on the committee upon the invitation of the chairman/chairperson. At least one committee member shall have served the previous year. It is the responsibility of the HAR-CO Scholarship Committee to administer this program. All completed applications are reviewed by the entire Scholarship Committee and are confidential.
Scholarship recipients are selected without regard to their race, creed or national origin.